Recently, a lot of Windows 10 users have reported that the Start Menu of their PC is not working. Are you one of them? If yes, this post is specially written to help you. Start Menu or Start button not working is a common but serious Windows 10 problem. Thus, it is essential to learn how to fix it.
In this post, we will guide you on how to fix the Windows 10 Start menu not working issue using some simple solutions. After applying the solutions, you will be able to get the Start menu up and running like normal.
- 1 Overview: Windows 10 Start Menu Not Working
- 2 Top 6 Solutions to Fix: Start Menu/Start Button Not Working on Windows 10
- 3 Final Take
Overview: Windows 10 Start Menu Not Working
The Start Menu is the place where all the important elements and software of windows rely on, therefore it can be very irritating if it stops working and will ensure that it is very difficult and near impossible for anything done on your system. The much-loved attribute created a welcome return from Windows 10 but stinks and other issues are reported by a range of consumers.
If you are experiencing these bugs, try out the solutions we have set out under, and ideally, your Start Menu will soon be up and running just like normal. The Start menu is your primary port of call for browsing Windows 10, so when it plays it up turns into an issue. In case your PC or notebook’s Start menu is locking up or getting generally unresponsive, here is how to repair it.
Top 6 Solutions to Fix: Start Menu/Start Button Not Working on Windows 10
If you have encountered the Start menu or Start button not working error on your Windows 10 PC, here are the 6 best solutions you can use to get rid of it easily. Applying these solutions will help you to eliminate the underlying cause, and thus, resolve the issue.
1. Restart your system
It is also undoubtedly the simplest method. Consider restarting your PC, possibly even on a few occasions, and see if that cures the problem. You do not wish to do this frequently, but when it works, then you are going to be ready to go in a couple of minutes.
After restarting, check if the Start menu has started working or not.
2. Check for Windows Updates
Microsoft is aware of the matter, and when there’s a fix available it’s going to be released through Windows Update, so be certain you maintain your Windows 10 up so far, and when there are any upgrades available.
Windows 10 generally downloads the lost upgrades automatically, but occasionally issues can happen and that may stop updates from downloading. But, you can always check for upgrades by performing the following:
- Press Windows Key + I open the Preferences program.
- Go to the “Update and Security.”
- In the right-side pane, click on “Check for updates.”
If there any windows updates are available then they’ll be downloaded automatically in the background. Once your machine is current, the problem ought to be entirely solved and your Start Menu should begin working again.
3. Use PowerShell
If you do not need to await the official patch you can try this workaround. This is not a permanent solution, however, it will get the work done and it fixes the problem briefly, thus if the problem manifests itself you may want to repeat this procedure.
To Repair the Start button with PowerShell do the following:
- Right-click on the Start Menu and then select Windows PowerShell. Be certain you run it like an administrator for optimum control over your PC. In case you don’t run it as an administrator, this procedure may not function, so bear this in mind.
It is also possible to press Windows Key + S, kind PowerShell, and operate Windows PowerShell as an administrator.
- Paste Get-AppXPackage AllUsers Foreach (Add-AppPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode –Register)
- Press Enter to execute it. That would be, your Start button needs to be functioning today. As we mentioned, this option works, but it is not permanent so for your permanent solution be certain you check for the most recent Windows 10 upgrades frequently.
4. Repair Corrupt Files
- Open task manager
- Run new task
- Whenever the Run new job dialog box opens, type “PowerShell”, tick the box Create this task together with administrative privileges and click on OK.
- Type “sfc /scannow” to the window and then press the Enter.
- Windows didn’t locate any ethics offenses and Windows Resource Protection found corrupted files and mended them imply there are no corrupt files, but Windows Resource Protection found tainted files but was not able to repair any (or even all ) of them suggests that a problem.
- Enter “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” in the PowerShell window and then press the Enter. This may download documents from Windows Update to replace the ones that are corrupt and, again, this might take a while.
5. Use Command prompt
Occasionally problems with the Start Menu button may be brought on by specific Cortana files. According to customers, you can resolve this issue by simply deleting these files in the Command Prompt.
These are only a few temporary files, and your PC will recreate them so there is no need to stress.
To recreate these documents, You Only Need to do the following:
Press Windows Key + X and then select Command Prompt (Admin) in the menu.
In case this method does not work, you may use any other procedure, but make sure you begin Command Prompt as an administrator.
When Command Prompt begins, run the following commands one by one:
- CD/d “%LOCALAPPDATA%PackagesMicrosoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy”
- Taskkill /F /IM SearchUI.exe
- RD /S /Q Settings
Following the commands are implemented, the broken files will probably be rebuilt and you need to be able to utilize Start Menu again without any problems.
6. Try Restoro PC Repair Tool
Restoro PC Repair Tool is software that helps to solve various PC problems including the start menu. This program will mend common computer errors, shield you from document reduction malware, hardware failure and maximize your PC for optimum performance.
Repair the difficulties you’re facing with your system and eliminate the viruses in three simple steps:
- Download Restoro PC Repair Tool which includes Patented Technologies.
- Click on “Start Scan” to locate issues of your system that may be causing some of the issues.
- Select “Start Repair” to resolve all the issues at once that are impacting the functionality and safety of your system.
Users globally were more excited to watch Start Menu ago, but regrettably, some users report the Start button does not work on Windows 10, so now we are going to research this situation.
So finally you’re here! Now you’re completely understood to repair your start menu in Windows 10. This article is made after great research hence it’ll definitely going to help you. Repairing the start menu is not a big deal, but sometimes people get tensed when it doesn’t work. You just have to know some basics and now you’re aware of all of them.
These techniques are verified and surely help you to solve the problem. Now it’s your duty to use the following procedures one by one until your start menu starts working.