Just imagine, it’s a winter night and you are lying on your bed under the sheets. You are ready to watch your favorite Movie. You tap on the Netflix app on your phone and you find a perfect movie for the cozy environment. The moment you click on the play button, it shows the sign that can infuriate even a monk. It starts buffering. Your room is in one corner and the router is placed in a corner opposite to yours.
Now you have to either go to the room in which the router is or a place where the network is strong. But remember it’s an extremely cold winter night. You don’t want to go out of your bed and you want to watch a movie as well. You wish to increase the range of your Wi-Fi. But you don’t know how to increase the range.
You are in a conundrum. Stuck between the comfort your bed provides you and the desire to watch your favorite movie. What would you choose? Increasing the range of your Wi-Fi could solve the problem. But how to do that?
Well, that’s exactly what we are going to discuss in this article. Here we will go through some ways through which you can increase the range of Wi-Fi. Some easy steps and you’re good to go. So let’s go and first understand what Wi-Fi is.
What is a Wi-Fi?
Wi-Fi is actually an abbreviation for the word Wireless Fidelity. It is a wireless communication technology that allows computers, mobile phones, or other compatible devices to connect to the internet or communicate with one another wirelessly with the help of a wireless router, within a particular area.
It allows LANs (an acronym for Local Area Networks) to work without wiring and cables, making it easier to use at the same time reducing mess. Thus making it a popular option among the people.
Now, let’s go through some of the reasons why the range of your Wi-Fi is short.
Reasons for Short-Range of Your Wi-Fi
There are quite a lot of reasons because of which the range of your Wi-Fi is short. But here are a few of them. So let’s go and check the reasons provided below, for the shorter range of your Wi-Fi:
- The router of your Wi-Fi might be situated in a corner. If it is situated in a corner surrounded by thick walls, then it’ll be difficult for waves to travel.
- If your Wi-Fi router is covered with different objects. All these objects cause interference in the path of waves, thus making them difficult to travel
- Anything like the microwave or Bluetooth devices or any other things that generate electromagnetic waves is placed near the router. It creates interference which again makes it difficult for waves to travel properly.
- There is a lot of interference in the form of many Wi-Fi in your surrounding areas. Sometimes they also create a problem for your Wi-Fi.
- It becomes difficult for waves to travel easily if the router is kept under a table or in a cupboard. It will be hard for Wi-Fi to work properly if the router is not placed in an open area.
These were some of the reasons because which the range of your Wi-Fi is short. Now, it’s time that you know how to increase the range of your Wi-Fi. Now let’s go and discuss the ways through which you can increase the range.
How to Increase the Range of Your Wi-Fi?
You, now know what Wi-Fi is and what are the probable reasons for the low/short range of your Wi-Fi. But, are there any solutions? Yes, there some easy solutions that can solve your problem instantly. So, let’s go through those Ways through which your problem could be solved.
Here are some ways to increase the range of WiFi:-
- The first thing that you need to do is, take the Wi-Fi router out of the corner or from a place where it is surrounded by thick walls. Thick concrete walls make it hard for waves to travel.
- Take the Wi-Fi router out of the cupboard or from under the table. If the Wi-Fi router is surrounded by furniture or metals, take it out of that place too. Keep the router in an open place where it is not surrounded by a lot of objects.
- Keep the router in the center of your house. This makes the waves reach evenly to all the places. Also, keep it at a high place. A spot higher than the devices using Wi-Fi. The higher you place it, the better it is.
- Make sure that things like a microwave, Bluetooth devices, or any other device that emits electromagnetic waves, are not placed near the router. The electromagnetic waves emitted by these devices make it hard for waves to travel. That is why you should keep them away from your router.
- You can optimize the router and its functions with the help of the website. The website of your router allows you to prioritize a device or even adjust the range of your router. So, you can easily change the things you want to.
1. Tools to Help You to Increase the Range
Here are some tools that might help you to increase the range of your Wi-Fi.
- You can use a Wi-Fi repeater or extender. What they do is simply receiving the signal and after amplifying and boosting the network they send it ahead.
- The waves of Wi-Fi travel in circular waves. If you imagine, then it somewhat looks like a circular ring surrounded by another bigger circular ring and so on. If your waves focus in one direction, you can use a thing called patch antenna.
- You can get a Wi-Fi router with a lower radio wave frequency. The lower the frequency, the higher is the wavelength.
These were some of the ways through which you can increase the range of your Wi-Fi. You can also build a cheap Wi-Fi extender at your home. The method is provided Below.
How to Build a Cheap Wi-Fi Extender at Home?
Here is a simple way through which you can build a cheap Wi-Fi extender at home. Just follow the steps.
- Get a square piece of aluminum foil.
- Make a fist and place it in the middle of that square piece.
- Fold the corners towards your hand and make a shape similar to an umbrella.
- Poke a hole in the middle of the umbrella.
- Insert the antenna into the hole.
- Make sure the deeper part is upside down.
- Your cheap Wi-Fi extender is ready.
This was a cheap and easy technique to build a Wi-Fi extender that barely takes any time Or effort and is pocket friendly as well.
Today, in this article you learned, What is Wi-Fi and how to increase the range of your WiFi. Also, you learned about how to build a cheap Wi-Fi extender at home. We hope that you understood how can you increase the range of your WiFi.