When in your house amid lockdown, you cannot go out even in the new year. What in such a situation can be more exasperating than you not being able to watch a good movie on Netflix because of your slow Wi-Fi? Absolutely nothing. Slow Wi-Fi can not just mess up badly with your movie-watching experience, but also with your work. A slow Wi-Fi can delay work and ultimately hinder the progress of your growth. But do you know how to increase the speed of your Wi-Fi? And reasons for its slow speed?
There are various reasons for which your Wi-Fi faces a reduction in speed. We will discuss some of those reasons in this article and we will also discuss some of the ways through which you can understand how to increase the speed of your Wi-Fi. So first let’s go and understand what is the meaning of Wi-Fi and its uses.
What Is Wi-Fi?
Wi-Fi is actually a short name for Wireless Fidelity. It’s a device that uses radio waves to provide network connectivity. It is a wireless networking technology that allows electronic devices like computers, laptops, mobile phones, and other electronic equipment like printers and video cameras to connect with the Internet through a wireless router.
To understand what a router is, let’s take an example. Suppose you have ten computers and you want to share files or use the internet. For doing that you need to use a router. A router is a device used to connect multiple computers together to a network. Now whether it is sharing of files or sharing of the internet or even printing you can now do it with a router.
Basically what Wi-Fi does is that it provides you an accessor that allows you to connect to a network using radio waves. Since you have understood what the term Wi-Fi means, let’s go and discuss some reasons why the speed of your Wi-Fi is slow before knowing how to increase the speed of your Wi-Fi. So let’s go.
Is WiFi Suddenly Slow?
Before we can discuss our main topic, which is how to increase the speed of your Wi-Fi, let’s discuss the reasons for the slow speed of your Wi-Fi. Though, there could be many reasons for which the speed could get low, here are some of the most common reasons for the reduction in speed. So, Let’s go.
- Wi-Fi kept in a closed space, surrounded by thick walls or any other structure.
- Kept it near any object that emits magnetic waves.
- Too many users connected to a single network.
- Interference in the waves because of other networks nearby.
- The problem with the router.
These were some of the reasons because of which your Wi-Fi could have been facing the issue of slow speed. There can be many reasons but these are some common reasons. Now let’s go and finally understand how to Increase the speed of your Wi-Fi. Let’s go.
How To Increase The Speed of Your Wi-Fi?
Finally, we are going to discuss some out of the many ways you can understand how to increase the speed of your Wi-Fi. Here are some easy and fast ways through which you can increase the speed of your Wi-Fi. Given below are some of the ways, so let’s dive right into the ways. Let’s go.
Ways to Increase the Speed of Wi-Fi
- Make sure that your router is not placed in a corner, surrounded by thick concrete walls and furniture. Thick walls or metals can make it difficult for waves to travel easily, thus reducing the speed and the range of your Wi-Fi.
- Keep the router in an open place. A place where it is not surrounded by thick walls or a lot of stuff like furniture etc. Keeping the router in an open area makes it easier for waves to travel.
- Don’t place the router under a table or inside a cupboard. The router should usually be at a position higher than the devices you are using. The higher it is the better it will be for you. So keep it in an open and high place.
- Keep it away from things like microwaves, Bluetooth devices, or any other similar object that emit electromagnetic waves. These waves can act as an obstacle or interference for the waves to travel easily, thus affecting your internet speed and the range of the network.
- Many people using a single network can also have a great impact on the speed and reduce the speed. You can go to the settings of your router and prioritize the speed of your Wi-Fi. You can select the device which should get more speed and which should get less.
- Use extender of increased speed and range. This is a trick used by many people and it works. Take a square piece of aluminum foil and give it a shape like an umbrella. Just place your fist in the middle of the piece of foil and then fold it upwards, towards your hand. Now poke a hole in the middle of the foil, and insert the antenna of your router in it. Your extender is ready. This trick will significantly improve the speed and range of your Wi-Fi.
- Finally, if even after doing all these things you don’t receive any increase in the speed or range of your Wi-Fi, then probably there is some problem with your router. The router can be old or be a basic version, or there might be some defect in the router itself. If this is the case then change the router.
These were some of the ways through which you can bring a significant increase and understand how to increase the speed of your Wi-Fi.
In this article, we learned the meaning and uses of Wi-Fi, what is a router, why the speed of your Wi-Fi is slow, and finally how to increase the speed of your Wi-Fi. Slow speed Wi-Fi reduces the speed of your work and these simple ways can definitely help you to increase the speed and continue the flow of work because even though you cannot go out, your progress shall never stop.