At certain times, your router might not work properly. You can request for changing the router, to your service provider. But this way of dealing with problems is not viable. Especially during this pandemic. Instead of going out and putting your health in danger, there is another way through which your problem can be solved. You can reboot the router. But do you know how to reboot your router?
Most of the problems that a router face can be solved just by rebooting the router. Problems like slow speed or low connectivity can be solved by rebooting the router. Rebooting the router sets everything back to default. This makes it easy for you to optimize and make changes to the router as you want. Now let’s go and understand what a router is before you know how to reboot your router.
What Is A Router?
Let’s consider that you have a few electronic devices like computers, laptops, etc and you want to share files between them or use the internet then for that you need to use a router.
A router is an electronic device that is used to connect multiple devices together to a common network. Things, like sharing files or sharing on the internet, or even printing a document through a printer, cannot be done without a router. Routers mainly come in two forms, one is wired and the other is wireless.
The router is basically a device that forwards data in the form of data packets, between the computer network. Wireless routers create Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN) and the data is distributed to other networks.
Data transfer is done by wireless Routers with the help of their antenna and for wired Router, it’s is done with the help of cables. Brands like D-link, TP-link, Netgear, etc are some of the best Router companies.
This was all for Routers, bow Let’s go and understand what is the meaning of Reboot and why should you reboot your device. Let’s go.
What is Meant by Rebooting Your Device?
Rebooting a device simply means turning off a device and start it again. It is the same as restarting the device. It is similar to restarting a device. Rebooting can be done with the help of a button or by switching off the power button or by disconnecting the power cable, etc.
But you should not reboot your device very often. Rebooting the device on a regular basis can affect its efficiency.
Now let’s talk about what is the need for rebooting your router. Let’s go.
1. Why Should You Reboot Your Router?
Though three are a lot of reasons why you should reboot the router, we will discuss a few among those reasons. So, A router reboot can fix a lot of Internet-related connectivity issues, from no Internet connectivity to slow wireless connections and fixing some wireless issues, also rebooting is a good security practice for the router when done every once in a while.
But that doesn’t mean that you should do it on a regular basis. If you reboot the router regularly then it affects its performance and efficiency.
Now let’s go and understand how to reboot the router easily. Let’s go.
How to Reboot Your Router?
There are a few ways through which you can reboot the router. So we are going to discuss a few of those ways through which you can reboot the router.
1. On and Off /plugin-plug Off
This is a very simple way of rebooting your router. It is the easiest way available. Just follow the steps given below:-
- The first step is to pull the plug out from the socket of the router.
- The next step is waiting for a few seconds.
- Finally, plug the pin back into the socket.
- And it’s done, this was one way of rebooting the router. But one thing to be noted is that you have to wait for more than 10 seconds before putting the plug back in.
2. Flip the Button
The second way is another one of the easiest ways is rebooting your router. The steps are given below.
- All you have to do in this step is, flipping the On/Off button off.
- Now, wait for few seconds and turn the button in again.
- And that’s it. Wasn’t that simple?
2. Reset the Button
Another simple and easy way of rebooting your router. This will barely take any time. The steps of this method are given below-
- For this step, you’ll need a small toothpick or any other thing like a needle, pin, pen refill, etc. It should be thin small and strong.
- In a few routers, there is a separate hole provided for rebooting the router. All you have to do is push the stick into that hole till you hear a click sound.
- Once you hear that click pull the stick out again.
- That’s all you need to do.
- But keep one thing in mind, don’t press the stick very hard or it will cause damage the router
4. Reboot the Router Using Website
This way is a bit longer than the other ways discussed above, but it is also a simple way. Let’s check that out.
- For this method, you’ll need the IP address of your router.
- If you don’t know what your IP address is then go through this article- how to find the IP address of your router
- Once you get your IP address, type it in the search box of your browser and press the enter key.
- You’ll land on the signing page of your router’s website.
- Now you have to sign in.
- On the homepage you’ll find a Reset Router option, click on that.
- And you’re done.
These were some of the ways through which you can reboot the router.
In this article, you learned what is a router, what is meant by rebooting a router, why should you reboot, and how to reboot your router. It is difficult to go out and replace your router if there is any problem, but rebooting can solve some of your problems.
Although rebooting the router occasionally is good for security, you shouldn’t overdo it. Rebooting the router can solve many problems but if overdone, can affect the efficiency of the router. So, you should use it wisely.