Today in this article about How to update router firmware, we’ll show you how you can update your router firmware, both for tp-link and D-link.
But before we jump on to the main topic, I’ll ask you a very important question. Do you know what firmware is? If the answer is yes, then that’s great but if the answer is no, then don’t worry because we’ll explain to you what firmware is in the easiest way possible. So let’s go.
What Is Firmware?
Okay, so in electronic systems and computing, the firmware is a computer program that provides low-level control for the device’s specific hardware. In other words, the firmware is a software program or defined set of rules/instructions on a hardware device. It instructs/governs the communication from one device to the other.
The best and simplest example to understand what firmware is and how does it works is a, TV remote. Yes, a TV remote also has firmware that sends the infrared beams from the remote to the TV, so that the TV can comprehend the actions and give back the desired results when you tap on the silicon buttons on the remote.
If what firmware is, is clear then let’s jump on to the other question of what is a router.
What Is a Router?
Before we go to the thing why you are here for, that is how to update router firmware, let’s understand what a router is.
So, suppose you have five computers and you want to share files or use the internet then for that you need to use a router. A router is a device that is used to connect multiple computers together to a network, now whether it is sharing of files or sharing of the internet or even printing you can now do it with a router. Routers come in two forms, one wired and the other wireless.
Now, when you have understood what firmware and router are, we can finally know how to update firmware router, so here we go
How To Update Router Firmware for TP-Link?
Since you’ve understood what firmware and router are, now well show you how to update router firmware for TP-link. Steps are provided below.
- First of all, you have to click and open the web browser on your computer screen.
- Now, you have to write the router’s IP address in the search box of the browser.
- Next, write your username and password in the respective boxes.
- You’ll find the model number on the page that opens up, you have to copy the model number and search for the firmware using the same number, for example – ‘download firmware for xxmodel_numberxx‘.
- Find the official site of TP-link and open the official site, then first you should click on the firmware option and then on the download firmware option.
- Open the file that you have downloaded and extract it.
- After extracting the file, go back to the browser and open the router page, then tap on the system tool and after that on the backup firmware update option.
- Click on the Choose file option and then you have to select the file you have downloaded.
- Finally, you have to click on the upgrade button and it’s done.
How To Update Router Firmware for D-Link?
After you have understood the TP-link firmware update, now it’s time for you to understand the process for D-link. So for you, here is a way through which you can know the router firmware updating for D-link. The steps are given below.
- Opening the web browser is the first step, so firstly you have to open the web browser on your computer screen.
- In the second step, you have to write the IP address that you have in the search box of your web browser and click the search button.
- You after clicking on the search button will land upon the login page of D-link, there by default the admin name is already set as admin and there is no password, but if you have set a password only then you have to enter the password otherwise click on the login button without filling any box.
- Now you have to copy the model number shown there on the homepage and search firmware to download using the model number.
- Download the file and after that, you have to extract the file on your computer.
- After that go back to the browser and go to the homepage you landed on after logging in, click on the tools option, and then click on the firmware option.
- After clicking on the firmware option, you’ll see the firmware upgrade, click on that option and select the file you’ve downloaded by searching the model number.
- Open the file that you have downloaded and then you have to click on the upload button and then on the open button.
- Once the process is complete you’ll land back on the login page.
Here in this particular article, you learned what firmware is, what Router is, and how you can upgrade Router firmware. Here you learned how to update router firmware for TP-link as well as for D-link. But before you leave there is one piece of information, while you are doing all this work, make sure your internet connection is strong and there is no problem with electricity. The slightest problem in any of these can create difficulty in the process.